From Rail to Trail
Enjoy a train journey for a different perspective...
Walk 100 miles between Pwllheli and Aberystwyth using the train
Transport for Wales
The Snowdonia coast and Llŷn section of the path is well served by the Cambrian Line operated by Transport for Wales .Using the Cambrian Coast Line, you can walk 100 miles between Pwllheli and Aberystwyth. You can also get to the coast path on the Cambrian Main line running between Aberystwyth and Shrewsbury.
Here’s a list of the train stations in order of their stops from Pwllheli to Aberystwyth. It shows the distances between the points on the Wales Coast Path which are closest to the stations on the Cambrian Line.
They are rounded to the nearest mile or kilometre.
1. Pwllheli to Abererch is 2 miles or 3 kilometres
2. Aberech to Penychain is 2 miles or 2 kilometres
3. Penychain to Criccieth is 7 miles or 12 kilometres
4. Criccieth to Porthmadog is 7 miles or 11 kilometres
5. Porthmadog to Minffordd is 3 miles or 5 kilometres
6. Minfordd to Penrhyndeudraeth is 1 mile or 1.5 kilometres
7. Penrhyndeudraeth to Llandecwyn is 1 mile or 1 kilometre
8. Llandecwyn to Talsarnau is 1 mile or 1 kilometre
9. Talsarnau to Tygwyn is 1 mile or 2 kilometres
10. Tygwyn to Harlech is 4 miles or 6 kilometres
11. Harlech to Llandanwg is 3 miles or 5 kilometres
12. Llandanwg to Pensarn is 1 mile or 2 kilometres
13. Pensarn to Llanbedr is 1 mile or 2 kilometres
14. Llanbedr to Dyffryn Ardudwy is 5 miles or 8 kilometres
15. Dyffryn Ardudwy to Talybont is 2 miles or 3 kilometres
16. Talybont to Llanaber is 2 miles or 4 kilometres
17. Llanaber to Barmouth is 2 miles or 3 kilometres
18. Barmouth to Morfa Mawddach is 2 miles or 3 kilometres
19. Morfa Mawddach to Fairbourne is 2 miles or 3 kilometres
20. Fairbourne to Llwyngwril is 6 miles or 9 kilometres
21. Llwyngwril to Tonfannau is 5 miles or 8 kilometres
22. Tonfannau to Tywyn is 3 miles or 4 kilometres
23. Tywyn to Aberdyfi is 4 miles or 7 kilometres
24. Aberdyfi to Machynlleth is 12 miles or 19 kilometres
25. Machynlleth to Dovey Junction is 6 miles or 10 kilometres
26. Dovey Junction to Borth is 9 miles or 14 kilometres
27. Borth to Aberystwyth 6 miles or 9 kilometres
The path passes directly by most of the stations and within half a mile of all of them. The following stations are approximately 1 mile away:
The following train stations are request stops on the Cambrian Line. They are railway stations where trains will only stop if requested to by a customer wanting to get on or off. Read more about how to get on or off the train at request stops
We recommend using the train to get to the start point or end point of your walk. This means you can enjoy your walk without having to worry about catching the last train home.
Accessing the Wales Coast Path by bus is, in many...