Temporary Path Diversions
An up to date list of current temporary diversions along the path
From time to time it is necessary to temporarily divert sections of the Wales Coast Path - mostly for reasons of public safety following severe weather, landslides or construction work.
However, 'we never close' is our motto and an alternative route should always be available..
If there is something wrong on the Wales Coast Path, please let us know via our Report a Path Issue form.
Network Rail Barmouth Viaduct upgrade 2020 to 2022 in Gwynedd
Major work to start upgrading the 150 year old viaduct starts in September 2020. It will affect the route of the path as it goes over the viaduct across the Mawddawch Estuary and continues south towards Fairbourne. During this upgrade the bridge will be closed temporarily on certain dates.
An alternative route is being looked into for walkers on the path and will be posted on this page. If you are planning to walk in this area, we suggest you also follow Network Rail social media for updates.
- Follow Network Rail Wales and Border Twitter for updates. Twitter handle @NetworkRailWAL
- Read the latest information about Barmouth Viaduct upgrade, frequently asked questions and temporary bridge closures
Path closures in Gwynedd county
Last updated 4th February 2021
Here's more information on the sections of the path have been closed due to recent damage by storm Christophe:
- Ty Coch, Porthdinllaen - between Ty Coch and the lifeboat station. Diversion in place (not signposted), advised to circumnavigate the village and re-join path.
- Morfa Nefyn cliffs (behind public toilets) - Diversion in place (not signposted), advised to use the highway.
- Llanbedrog beach - No diversion in place. The path closed at Llanbedrog Beach and at Cerrig y Defaid.
- Penrhyn Mawr, Aberdaron - Diversion in place (not signposted). Advised to use the old Wales Coast Path route from Morfa Mawr Farm to Cadlan.
Suspected landslides also at Porth Ceiriad and Porth Iago which are currently being investigated.
|Local Authority||Location||Reason||Diversion Map||Date|
|Bridgend||Rest Bay boardwalk||Maintenance||en||15-03-2021|
|Cardiff||Central Cardiff||Health and Safety||en||Until further notice|
|Denbighshire||Rhyl, Splash Point||Sea defence works||en||Until further notice|
|Gwynedd||Ty Coch, Porthdinallen||Landslide||31-03-2021|
|Gwynedd||Morfa Nefyn cliffs behind public toilets||Landslide||22-02-2021|
|Gwynedd||Llanbedrog beach and Cerrig y Defaid||Landslide||28-02-2021|
|Gwynedd||Penrhyn Mawr, Aberdaron||Landslide||30-04-2021|
|Isle of Anglesey||Menai Bridge, Beach Road||Maintenance works on overhead bridge||en||28-02-2021|
|Swansea||Oxwich Pill footbridge||Health and Safety||en||Until further notice|
|Swansea||Cwm Ivy||Erosion||en||Until further notice|
Last updated 04 Feb 2021